Greens welcome QLD and SA governments' adoption of junk food ad ban policy
Brown calls on Rudd government to end its obstruction to a national ban
The South Australian and Queensland governments have today announced moves in concord with the Australian Greens' policy to ban junk food advertising during children's TV viewing hours.
"The Greens' policy to ban junk food advertising during children's TV viewing hours is a sensible first step to tackling childhood obesity and I welcome the moves by of the South Australian and Queensland governments," Senator Brown said.
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The Rudd government should end its obstruction of efforts in the federal parliament for a national ban on junk food advertising in children's TV viewing hours," Senator Brown said.
The Greens will reintroduce such legislation to the Senate.
"The alarming report released this week by Access Economics shows the cost of obesity to the community has been massively underestimated and has now been costed at $58 billion-a-year burden on the Australian economy."
"Only 1 per cent of food advertising promotes healthy food. The other 99 per cent promotes fast food, soft drinks, ice cream and other junk food. Parents need help to ensure their children remain healthy and active and removing the ‘pester-power' of junk food advertising will do that." Senator Brown said.
Further information: Ebony Bennett 0409 164 603